8:34 PM

don't stand so, don't stand so, don't stand so close to me

There is nothing I despise more than standing in line. Really, is there anything in life more degrading than being forced to huddle together and slowly proceed to your destination like a bunch of cattle being herded? And it is never to anything cool; lines always lead to something like a cheap buffet or the cranky lady at the DMV. You know that those cashiers in the grocery store feel such a power trip when there is a line in their aisle. They know that they could close their register at anytime and then what would happen to the line? Everyone has to run as fast as they can to get in line somewhere else. It is quite humiliating. I doubt that celebrities or royalty ever have to submit to line-standing. It is something only "commoners" do. But the worst thing are people who stand too close to you in line. I am not kidding, I have had people nudge me repeatedly with their guts in an effort to get me to move up in line. Do they not understand how a line works? Do the think that if they are not standing directly on me there will be a sudden rush for their spot in line? Sometimes when people are standing too close to me I will start singing that song "Don't Stand So Close To Me." Not loud, just loud enough so the too-close stander can hear. Also I will stand way, way far back from the person in front of me because I know it bugs the person behind me. And so that they will learn proper line-standing etiquette.

1 comments:

Melodie Anne said... @ February 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I sometimes refer to the ones who stand too close as "lap-riders", becasue it seems like they want to ride on your lap through the line. Maybe they don't understand that your lap won't make it any more fun.